Maritime Museums | Image Gallery
Cannonball House Maritime Museum: (DE) The Cannonball House Maritime Museum, operated by the Lewes Historical Society in Lewes, Delaware. Built c. 1760, the Cannonball House bears scars from the War of 1812 when Lewes was bombarded by the British. The museum houses a collection of Delaware maritime artifacts relating to the lighthouses of Delaware River & Bay ‹ especially Cape Henlopen Lighthouse, the Life-Saving Service, the Delaware Pilots, maritime art, Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station, half-models and important documents that have shaped Delaware's relationship with the sea, including the orders from President John Quincy Adams to commence construction of the Delaware Breakwater, among many others.
DiscoverSea Shipwreck Museum: (DE) The DiscoverSea Shipwreck Museum opened in 1995 on Fenwick Island in Delaware, and thousands of visitors have passed through her doors. Now that the collection has a permanent home at the Museum and through traveling displays to other museums, the artifacts can now again finally tell their stories. It is hoped that everyone who leaves DiscoverSea Museum, will leave with a better understanding of our great Maritime Heritage.
Indian River Lifesaving Station: (DE) The former Rehoboth Beach Indian River Lifesaving Station building, under the direction the Delaware Seashore Preservation Foundation, stands on its current location on the ocean side of Route 1 between Dewey Beach and the Indian River Inlet in Delaware for more than 100 years. The Station is the object of a restoration effort by a group of local volunteers. The learning center will feature information on the lifesaving history of the Delaware coast, including the Revenue Cutter Service, the U.S. Lifesaving Service, the U.S. Coast Guard Service, sunken ships, famous rescues, and pirates. The hope is to restore the Venetian red-roofed structure to its original appearance when it was constructed in 1879.
The Kalmar Nyckel: The Tall Ship of Delaware: (DE)
In Wilmington, the Kalmar Nyckel ("the Key of Kalmar," a Swedish city) is a 97-foot,
317-ton replica of a 1629 Dutch pinnace launched September 1997 at the
same site where "New Sweden," the first permanent European settlement in
the Delaware River Valley, was established.