Old Fort Jackson: (GA) Old Fort Jackson is the oldest standing fort in Georgia. The original brick fort was begun in 1808 and was manned during the War of 1812. The fort was enlarged and strengthened between 1845 and 1860, and saw its greatest use as the headquarters for the Confederate river defenses during the civil war.Port Columbus-Civil War Naval Center: (GA) Buildings reminiscent of the Confederate Naval Ironworks in Columbus, Georgia will comprise the new National Museum of Civil War Naval History on the Port Columbus campus. Still, the structures will be built as modern museum buildings complete with humidity and temperature controls to insure not only the comfort of visitors, but the integrity of the artifacts as well.
Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum: (GA) Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum in Savannah, GA, founded in 1966, exhibits ship models, paintings and maritime antiques, principally from the great era of Atlantic trade and travel between England and America during the 18th and 19th centuries.
St. Mary's Submarine Museum: (GA) The St. Marys Museum, organized on 30 Mar 96, is located in the south east corner of the State of Georigia at Kings Bay the site of the Navys newest military base. where the St. Marys River splits Florida and Georgia starting from the Okefenokkee Swamp. Since its inception in the late 1800s, the submarine force has had a profound effect on America's war effort. During WWII submarines sank over 50% of enemy ships, despite the fact that they were manned by less than 2% of our sailors. And today's sub fleet is widely considered the most cost effective leg of our strategic defense system. Located in historic downtown St Marys, Georgia, the museum is a great place to learn about the Silent Service. A wide variety of Submarine artifacts, memorabilia and information are available for viewing, and you can checkout the beautiful St Marys waterfront thru a real periscope.
St. Simons Island Lighthouse: (GA) The first Saint Simons Light Station, at St. Simons Island, Georgia, was constructed in 1807 by James Gould on Couper's Point. The present Lighthouse was reconstructed in 1872 on the same site to replace the original which was destroyed by retreating Confederate forces in 1862.
Tybee Island Historical Society: (GA) The Tybee Island Light Station is one of America's most intact Light Stations, having all of its historic support buildings still on its five acre site. The Headkeeper's and 1st Assistant Keeper's house originally exhibited a unique style of architecture known as the "stick style." The ornate trim and contrasting vertical and horizontal siding has been covered up by Coast Guard renovations. The Tybee Island Historical Society has begun a restoration campaign which will return the entire Light Station to its historic early 20th century character.
U.S. Navy Supply Corps Museum: (GA) The U.S. Navy Supply Corps Museum in Athens, GA, provides logistics training in the areas of supply, transportation, maintenance and other logistics services for Department of Defense and international personnel.